If the cuisine isn’t enough to get you excited about New Orleans, Louisiana, it is now a prime place for rising youth leadership in the culinary arts. Kid Chef Eliana is a 13 year old author, radio show host, and personality from New Orleans. She is also a phenomenal chef (check out that name “Kid Chef”!). The 13 year old published numerous cookbooks and was even featured on the Wendy Williams Talk Show. Eliana has been featured in many print publications including American Girl, New York Magazine, Louisiana Cookin’, The Produce News, and Louisiana Kitchen & Culture magazine.
Check out Kid Chef Eliana weekly radio show “Cool Kids Cook” on Voice America Kids, Mondays at 7pm and her blog !
Eliana is an amazing example of youth taking leadership in whatever they are passionate about. You can too, just listen to what your heart most wants and go out and do it like Eliana. But make sure your stomach is full while on that journey. Inspired by Eliana’s work, I decided to post a quick, vegan friendly recipe you can try. Comment below and let me know how it comes out!
Mashed Cauliflower with Roasted Garlic & Chives
- 1 large cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 2 big cloves of roasted garlic (or 1 clove raw garlic)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- salt & pepper
- Chop the head of cauliflower into small florets.
- Place cauliflower in a large pot and fill with just enough water to cover the florets.
- Bring the water to boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Steam until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Drain the cauliflower well.
- Place the cauliflower in a large bowl, and puree with potato masher or immersion (stick) blender.
- Mix in remaining ingredients, seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste.