Greening Forward is a youth-led environmental non-profit organization working to develop young people into leaders who can make a real impact in their community. We fund, mentor, and provide skill-building resources to young environmental problem-solvers, ages 5-25.
The Social Media Strategist maintains the public image of Greening Forward over the channels of Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter via crafted posts, shares, and mentions that support the organization’s cause. Specifically, media should provide insight and opportunities targeted at young people who want to make a change within the environmental movement. Additionally, the SMS will cover and promote any Greening Forward-sponsored events. It is expected that the SMS will commit 4-6 hours of volunteer work per week in addition to attending virtual monthly organizational and committee meetings. The position includes multi-annual opportunities for sponsored travel. The SMS can also qualify for school credit per approval from the respective institution. Usual commitment length to the role is a year.
- Strong familiarity with social media platforms (especially Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
- Experience in social media marketing
- Background or interest in working with young people or environmentalism
- Willingness to support overall organization in areas outside of social media, including but not limited to: fundraising, outreach, editing, program development
- Consistent access to a computer
- Strong communication skills
- Quick learner
- Prior experience working with environmental organizations
- Experience with FB/IG ad platform, Trello, WordPress
- The following skills would be useful but not required: photography/videography, journalism/blogging, website design, branding overhauls.
- Sponsored travel
- Service hours
- Potential for academic credit
- Can be done from any location
- References for other opportunities
Location: This position can telecommute from anywhere in the United States. Consideration may be given to candidates outside of the United States, if the candidate can demonstrate that the organization would not be burdened by unreasonable travel costs for the candidate to attend meetings and conferences in the United States. Current staff and youth council members are located in California, Michigan, New York, Massachusetts, and Georgia.
Time Commitment: 4-6 hours/week
How to Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter highlighting your desire and qualifications for the position to email@example.com. Successful applicants will be invited to interview with Greening Forward staff.
*We will accept applications for the SMS until the position is filled.*